hVIVO is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Your explicit consent to the processing of the personal data contained within your online application is provided to us by ticking the relevant box at the start of the application and by submitting the application form to us.
This website is not intended for nor designed to attract individuals under the age of 18. We do not collect personal data from any person whom we know or suspect is an individual under the age of 18.
WHAT PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT?
We process your personal data, which may include your name, email address, mobile phone number and details of any enquiry which you may have, when you submit a question through the ‘Contact Us’ tab on our website or when you telephone us with a query.
We may collect and process records of any correspondence and communications with us and telephone calls may also be recorded.
We also collect and process your personal data when you submit an application through our website to take part in one of our FluCamp clinical trials.
Personal data may also be provided to us from online vendors, service providers who refer you to our sites or services and from volunteer lists lawfully acquired from third party vendors.
Applicants for clinical trials
The online application form also contains initial screening questions in order to ascertain your general suitability for our clinical trials. The form asks you to provide your gender, date of birth, ethnicity, weight and height and contains questions about your current health and medical history, whether you are registered with a doctor (a General Practitioner, ‘GP’) in the UK and your availability to attend appointments in London, UK. The form also asks if you have valid photo ID (passport or driving licence only).
We may also collect the above information from you if you make an application to us by email or by telephone.
Following the submission of your application you will be notified immediately if you have met the criteria for further screening, if you are suitable for further screening we will be in touch with you regarding the outcome of that application and your details will be stored in our database for the purpose of possibly enrolling you on a clinical trial. If you are advised that you have been accepted to progress to the screening stage of a specific clinical trial at our clinic we will, at that point, provide you with further details of the study and obtain your informed consent to participate in the trial, in line with our legal obligations.
As part of the process of obtaining your fully informed consent to participate in screening and a clinical trial, we will provide you with our ‘Participant Information Sheet’ which contains our ‘Privacy Notice for Volunteers’which sets out the fair processing information required by data protection laws. This explains how we use (i) the personal data which we will have already collected from you and (ii) the additional information which we collect from you and any third parties, from this stage onwards. The Privacy Notice for Volunteers will also explain the legal bases, under data protection law, for the processing of this information from the screening stage onwards.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
Where you are accepted onto one of our clinical trials, your personal data will be used for research purposes within the relevant clinical trial and in accordance with our Privacy Notice for Volunteers.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to communicate with you (in writing, by telephone or by email/text message), to respond to any query which you send via our website or in response to your online application to participate in one of our clinical trials or a clinical trial of our partners as detailed below;
- to manage the recruitment process for registering your interest in becoming a clinical trial volunteer;
- to provide you with information about other clinical research studies (including those of our partners) which you may be interested in and for which you are suitable in terms of your participation;
- to provide you with information about our research and those of our partners, if you have provided additional consent to be added to the FluCamp mailing list, to receive marketing information and details of research completed by other companies;
- to build a profile of you, your health and your preferences in order to determine your suitability for participation in clinical trials;
- to aggregate and anonymise your personal data so that we can conduct research and analysis to better understand the types of individuals who may be interested in participating in clinical trials and other research;
- to produce aggregated data analytics, statistical research and reports, which may be used to review and change our services;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure, understand or monitor the effectiveness of advertising, promotions, marketing material and content and any joint initiatives with our affiliates, suppliers, partners, subcontractors and other selected third parties;
USING YOUR INFORMATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH DATA PROTECTION LAW
Compliance with legal obligations: As an entity established under the laws of England and Wales, we are obliged to comply with UK laws and guidance provided by UK regulatory bodies. Where we are legally obliged to disclose your personal data to a third party e.g. within the terms of a UK court order or where required to do so in line with a specific requirement in any UK legislation, the processing will fall within this category. You will not be able to object to the processing or ask for the deletion of your personal data when it is processed upon this legal basis.
It is in our legitimate interests to collect your personal data when you browse our website, for example, as it provides us with the information that we need in order to improve your experience and those of other visitors as they use the website in future.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION FOR
The period of time for which personal data is processed (including storage) will depend on the nature of the personal data and the purpose for which we have indicated to you that it is to be processed by us. Personal data held for a direct marketing purpose is held for five years whereas personal data which you have provided for use within one of our clinical trials, will be subject to specific legal and regulatory rules. Our Privacy Notice for Volunteers provides further guidance on the processing (including retention) of your personal data when you participate in one of our clinical trials.
If you are not initially accepted onto one of clinical trials, we will retain your details on our database for five years so that we may contact you in the event that a suitable clinical trial becomes available for which you may wish to be considered. We would ask that you keep us updated in relation to your contact details if you wish to remain on our database for this purpose. In the weeks preceding your data deletion, we will endeavour to contact you by email to ask if you wish for us to retain your data for a further period, failure to respond to this email will result in the deletion of your personal data.
Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal data with any member of our Group, which means its subsidiaries, and its ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006 (our “Group“) where there is a legal basis for doing so under data protection laws and to meet stated legitimate business purposes.
We will only share your personal data with the following where there is a business need to do so and where there is also a clear legal basis under data protection laws:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them. These include the provider of our telephone system; with the provider of our email marketing campaigns; our website hosting partners for the purposes of website administration and hosting services; and call centre partners which provide call centre services.
- third party suppliers and service providers to the extent they assist the Group with its legal / regulatory obligations;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site and other selected third parties; and
We will disclose your personal data to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if we, or substantially all of its assets, are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets;
- if, subsequently to completing the flucamp.com webform, you explicitly provide additional consent for us to transfer your personal data to a named third party clinical trial provider for the purposes of enrolling on a clinical trial. From time to time, if we are unable to offer you a place on one of our trials we will let you know about clinical trials provided by third party companies which we believe you may be eligible for. These communications will clearly outline that the trial is offered by a third party and ask if you wish for us to transfer your personal data to this provider for the purposes of participating on a clinical trial.
- in the unlikely event of any insolvency situation (e.g. the administration or liquidation) of hVIVO or its Group;
HOW IS YOUR PERSONAL DATA PROTECTED?
Your personal data (including your sensitive personal data) is only shared with staff within our organisation and with any partners who work closely with us on a ‘need to know’ basis for our legitimate business purposes and access to databases and folders containing personal data is restricted to appropriate staff. We have implemented organisational and technical security measures to safeguard and protect against unauthorised access to your personal data.
Our suppliers are also required to agree to data protection measures to protect your personal data which includes the requirement for them to commit to only process individuals’ personal data consistent with contractual purposes and with appropriate technical and organisational security safeguards.
STORAGE AND TRANSFER OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Most of the data that we collect from you is processed, and stored securely by us within, the European Economic Area (“EEA“) However, where your personal data is transferred outside of the EEA, this processing is carried out in accordance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation. Personal data held by the supplier who assists us with our email marketing campaigns is processed securely and in accordance with the data protections laws.
Data protection legislation provides you with certain rights in relation to this processing. You can, for instance, withdraw your consent to the processing of this personal data at any time (subject to some legal exceptions). However, this is likely to mean that you will not be able to continue with your application to participate in our clinical trials.
Your rights under law are not absolute and in some instances we may be unable to accept your request, in which case we will respond to you to explain why. These are set out below. You may contact us using the details on our website (or by contacting us directly – details below) to exercise any of these rights and we will respond to any request received from you within one month from the date of the request.
Please address any questions, comments and requests regarding our data processing practices to us in this way in the first instance. You can exercise any of the rights below by contacting us at at the below email address.
|NUMBER||DESCRIPTION OF RIGHT|
A right to access personal data held by us about you.
|A right to require us to rectify any inaccurate personal data held by us about you.|
|A right to require us to erase personal data held by us about you. This right will only apply where (for example): we no longer need to use the personal data to achieve the purpose we collected it for; or where you withdraw your consent if we are using your personal data based on your consent; or where you object to the way we process your data (in line with Right 6 below).|
|A right to restrict our processing of personal data held by us about you. This right will only apply where (for example): you dispute the accuracy of the personal data held by us; or where you would have the right to require us to erase the personal data but would prefer that our processing is restricted instead; or where we no longer need to use the personal data to achieve the purpose we collected it for, but you require the data for the purposes of dealing with legal claims.|
|A right to receive personal data, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format. This right will only apply where the processing is based on consent or a contract (see above) and the processing is carried out by automated means. You also have the right to require us to transfer this personal data to another organisation, at your request.|
|A right to object to our processing of personal data held by us about you (including for the purposes of sending marketing materials to you).|
A right to withdraw your consent, where we are relying on it to use your personal data (for example, where you have provided your personal data to us in order to apply for one of our clinical trails or where you have asked to receive marketing information about our services or products).
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7756 1300
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel that Our Company has not addressed your concern in a satisfactory manner, you may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.
First Contact Team
Information Commissioner’s Office
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Please note that our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
This policy was last reviewed and updated: September 2021